Captain James MacDonald passing

Our hearts go out to the very sad news of Captain James recent passing. He was a stellar Captain and so friendly. My wife and I have cruised with James a lot both on the Liberty and The Harmony out of Galveston, and we loved his charisma and that deep Texas drawl along with his special way of getting your attention on the PA before his announcements! We chatted with him a lot as was one of the few Captains that walked around the ship from time to time. It was so nice to hear that all RCL ships flew their flags at half mast yesterday in honor of him!

• Like 2

@Loyal To Royal I wish I could say I had the chance to meet Captain James! Thanks for sharing your tribute post to how wonderful of a captain he was. Clearly he was a memorable captain with unlimited charisma. RCL was honored to have him as a captain for that long! It was such an unexpected situation and Harmony of the Seas tried their very best to get him safely to emergency medical care. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/captain-of-royal-caribbeans-harmony-of-the-seas-passes-away/134129

image.thumb.png.4e914b563b3076bb08994c4cd04d090a.png

• 2 weeks later...

@Loyal To Royal Rest in peace Captain James! He was surely a memorable captain with a personality of gold. It's always sad when unexpected things like this happen. I'm sure many RCL fans and employees are mourning this deep loss. Have you met any other RCL captains that were as memorable? To be honest, I don't cruise on the same ship enough to ever get that connected to one captain. I love that you got the opportunity to really known Captain James, and he took the time to make himself known to guests. I don't think many captains make the effort to connect with guests the way he did!

So sad to read this news about the captain. I was on that ship with my family when we had to make the stop to let him off. The rest of the cruise we worried about him and what happened as we were not told exactly why he had to be left off. Royal did an amazing job of getting him off safely and keeping our cruise on time for our ports. Our family’s thoughts and prayers are with his family still.

• Thanks 1

@Rasmom03 That's so heart wrenching. I can only imagine the entire cruise was filled with morbidity over the unexpected loss. I'm glad that the cruise line didn't disclose all of the details because that would have ruined everyone's cruise experience. It's just so sad. I'm impressed by the way RCL handled the loss, and I'm glad it didn't impact your family cruise too much. My thoughts also go out to Captain James' family as they grieve such a wonderful man. Is RCL your preferred cruise line?