Cruise Hive Boards

2026 total eclipse

Seth

@Seth On August 12, 2026, there will be an eclipse that will encompass Portugal, northern Spain, Iceland, Greenland, Arctic Ocean, and Atlantic Ocean. Not all cruise lines have released itineraries into mid-2026, but I will keep my eye out for any options coming out! It would be so awesome to be able to view the eclipse from a cruise ship! 

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/icelands-majestic-landscapes/pricing.html#noscroll

This itinerary is close but not quite! It will be in the Faroe Islands on August 12, 2026, very close to total eclipse there. This is the Iceland Majestic Landscape Viking cruise embarking August 6, 2026 from Reyjavic, Iceland. 

image.thumb.png.3cfa67182c7cb559066d6c92363c2889.png

• 3 weeks later...

@Seth That would be an excellent itinerary! I'm sure the itinerary mentioned will book up pretty fast due to viewing the 2026 total eclipse. You can also check out the itineraries in the article I shared below. Cunard would be a great cruise line to explore as the line will be having three of its fleet members cruise through the eclipse! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-line-to-sail-through-path-of-solar-eclipse-in-2026/128553

image.thumb.png.5d42fd1df492eb90981c4380a571c188.png

• 2 months later...

That's what I call an exciting itinerary. I'd love to go onboard and see a phenomenon like that. It would certainly be special and memorable. Something a little different is what makes vacations stand out, so glad they have things like this. Maybe a few sailings for the bucket list, total eclipse and northern lights. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ Have you been able to see an eclipse before? I totally dodged the last one. I was busy working and never bought glasses. The idea of being potentially blinded didn't sit well with my if I'm being honest. I'm so novice to the world or eclipses, even norther lights. I love stars, but I don't really know how to spot any of them in the sky. My daughter loves them and wanted a telescope. I bought her one and couldn't figure out how to use it so I returned it. I need a big lesson on the celestial skies, and how to appreciate all of the wonders in the sky! Which itinerary would you prefer, a northern lights or an eclipse itinerary? 

• Like 1

Ive seen an eclipse when I was younger at home, but like you the idea of being blinded also doesn't appeal so didn't look long. I just love the phenomena of it all, the impending darkness that follows is brilliant for me. The northern lights on haven't seen, and in a few occasions in the UK, there was to have been opportunities to see the lights on a clear night, however unfortunately a clear night and decent weather in the UK is even rarer than the northern lights and total eclipse. I would definitely love to see the northern lights, it would be magical.

• Like 1

@LukeJ It's true that the solar system is such a natural phenomena. The power that the sun has to become completely dark in the middle of the day is miraculous. It's almost unexplainable. I'm not even sure what the northern lights experience could be like! What is that experience like? Is it all about a clear night full of stars in the darkness? I'm really only familiar with a solar eclipse. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see one, but what I've heard it takes take a while for the colours to actually develop apparently. Another told me that it looks better on camera as you can freeze frame a moment and that captures the colourful lights better. Again, I don't know if that's correct, as there is only one way to find out 

@LukeJ It seems like you know your stuff about the eclipse! For those who appreciate majestic skies, these itineraries are enticing. I haven't been able to find the time to appreciate this natural wonder, but as I age hopefully I stop and smell the roses as they say. The HAL itineraries I shared happen to go to some really impressive ports of call on top of it all. I think the line did an excellent job of pairing lovely stops with once in a lifetime natural beauty in the skies. 

I like to know things about the skies, it fascinates me. The whole complex universe and the science behind it all, I just find it mesmerising how it all works. People say that the total eclipse is a phenomenon, but everything is surely. Northern lights, that's a phenomenon in its own right. How it works is just amazing. I even get excited by sunsets and cloud formations. It may sound sad but there's something about a nice sky and colourful sunset that gets me appreciating life.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I completely agree about this. Sometimes I forget to stop and appreciate the beautiful skies. Yesterday I took an evening walk to a park. I couldn't avoid stopping and gawking at the amazing evening skies. I happened to take photos of the skies last night. I figured I would share them with the group. I never take photos of the moon because it's never done justice in a photo. It always ends up looking like a spec of rice.

image.png.ff88d52679f5e45978bc381699e95975.png

image.png.301ee5fa58bd4abd39de341594947659.png

Hopefully you like mountain views!

• Thanks 1

@Kendall James-Vargas thank you for the wonderful photo. I love the cloud formations, it really does make a photo. And yes I love the mountain views as well, you are lucky that you live in a place with beautiful scenery. I know each to their own, but I'd be extremely happy to live in an area with views like that.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm glad you could appreciate the beauty! I love how unique cloud are. No two clouds are alike. It's just like the night sky, every evening sky is different. I do enjoy living near the mountains, but I don't particularly love the winter months. Yes, it's beautiful to witness snow and play in it, but I don't like it for long. It can get gloomy quickly, and traveling in those elements is a chore. I'm hopeful to get to a warmer area (although the summer here has been exceptionally hot). When I cruise, I like to go to places unlike where I live with opposite climates/scenery. Going on a tropical cruise during the winter months is such a treat! The only problem with it is that I'm pale as can be out by the pool!

@Kendall James-Vargas yes I feel the same way, there is majestic beauty in a beautiful cloud formation. As a keen photographer, I love incorporating the clouds into the landscape photograph and after purchasing some art onboard, it has inspired me to take up painting, in which I've already been practicing my clouds on canvas. Yes, I agree, I do like going to places with opposite climates, and perhaps you could put on same fake tan before going and that way you won't feel a little self conscious.

• Like 1

@LukeJ The only time I really don't want to see rain threatening clouds is while traveling. The last cruise I took actually had horrid weather pre-cruise. I ended up waiting to get into the cruise terminal outside, getting soaked from the rain. Thankfully there wasn't horrid thunder, but that would have made our entire party drenched. I was so surprised the lines to get in weren't fully covered. It's a shame that Port Canaveral hasn't figured out a way to avoid this from happening. I typically take Caribbean cruises to get a hot and sunny experience, but when it rains during my pool time it can be very frustrating. What can you do? You can't control the weather!

image.thumb.png.2f4071ba393be28c00cd1f6416f0f95a.png

• Like 1

@Kendall James-Vargas no you can't unfortunately. In the UK, we certainly know this problem. It's such a shame that weather could potentially make it break your vacation. I know we can still entertain and enjoy yourself even if there is torrents of rain outside, but it's really not the same as a nice clear day. Your mood is instantly risen on a nice day, it feels good, looks good and it puts you in a good mood for the break away. When it rains, it's not the same at all.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ It's tough to book a cruise without knowing the weather, but you can't predict rain that far in advanced. Hurricane season is a good indicator for rain, but the prices are always really great so sometimes it's worth taking a chance. The days it was rainy, my family worked around the weather, but all the other sunny days we took full advantage of outdoor time whenever possible. I agree that the sunny days are the best days. No one wants to feel stuck inside a ship all day. Thankfully I have yet to experience horrid weather, but I have had to run back to the ship at a port of call while it was down pouring and thundering. This was all while holding children and too many pool gear/floats/souvenirs. We were soaked waiting to get back through security, dripping through the line.

• Like 1

@Kendall James-Vargas weather is certainly unpredictable to say the least. The forecast when we were in Norwegian Fjords was all week it was raining, fortunately for us the weather was beautiful instead. It was warm, we spend the time in shorts, so that was lucky for us, plus it would have spoilt the experience of the stunning views of the fjords and walking around. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ It's typical to get very humid rainy climates in the Norwegian Fjords, right? That's a big win if you were able to avoid rain! I'm so glad the weather turned out so lovely for you. Did you experience much fog? I absolutely love fog, although many others don't. It seems like cruising to the fjords is best to do in the summer months. Would you agree? Do you find the prices higher during that prime time of year or comparable to other times of the year? 

I was told that Norwegian Fjords is wetter and has a higher rainfall than the UK, so I thought instantly that there will be downpours every day then if that's the case, especially as it was predicted. However to our very surprise, it was stunning. I don't know what seasons is best, I'm assuming summer, but following UK rain pattern, the summer isn't always the best, as we have had the worst year this with weather. There was no fog, only a scatter of low hanging clouds as we came into one port first thing in the morning. I too love fog, they are amazing. I used to love walking first thing in the morning when light is just showing, there is a crisp air and mist in front of you.  The price wasn't too bad in comparison, I certainly thought it would be higher than it was. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ Well I know UK gets lots of rainfall, so it's hard to beat. That must mean the Norwegian Fjords rains 80% of the year and you lucked out on your cruise tot avoid it! I did notice your posts about the severe weather conditions you had this year. I think it's safe to say you needed that perfect cruise! It's so important to enjoy life. I am willing to work my butt off to enjoy my life. Even if it's just cheap/free fun, you have to get out and do it! The morning low hanging clouds sound magical, perfect for watching out of your balcony. I'm glad to hear you found a reasonable cruise fare. You are making me want to cruise that itinerary so badly! You essentially tagged it as the best cruise vacation ever.

@Kendall James-Vargas we have had a terrible year for weather this year. So yes it was nice that we had a vacation that stayed dry for us. And because of the weather made it even extra special for us. We would have enjoyed the cruise obviously but it was even more pleasing with the sunshine. I recommend the trip for you and your family. I understand it's further to go than we did, but if you are looking to go further afield, I can only say good things. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I really hope this upcoming year is better. You needed that cruise for sure. Did you get a good amount of time out by the pool? Were the pools heated? I always wonder when/when not certain ships heat their pools. When it's hot, it doesn't matter if the pool is heated, but sometimes it's too cold.The last cruise my family too I felt the pools should have been heated. My children were leaving the water cold. I wish that I would know if the ship heated it's pools and when it didn't. The kids aqua park was definitely not heated and it was also mostly shaded. It was hard to get in that area. Thankfully my children were more resilient, but the water slides were brutal!  

image.thumb.png.85b46938768cd83a7209bb71ccb21777.png

• Like 1