Can you Identify this Ship?

Well I posted pics in the Royal and Princess sub-forums of old ships, so I want to be fair and post one here.  Does anyone know what Carnival ship this may be?   The picture was taken February 9th, 1989 in Grand Cayman.  Do you know anyone that may have sailed on this ship?  Just adding some fun to the forums!

Princess & Carnival in Grand Caymen.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@FJB Thanks for the good fun! My guess is Carnival Jubilee. @kefthecruiser Carnival Celebration is a sister ship to Jubilee so they both have very similar features. Did you cruise on this ship back in the day?

Does anyone know why these ships get scrapped? Why aren't the ships reconverted into a cargo ship of sorts? They cost so much to build it's such a shame to see them destroyed.

• Like 1

@3Sisters Yes - Jubilee, Celebration and Holiday were all the same class of ship and so are hard to differentiate from a distance. I cruised the Jubilee from Tampa in 2002.

I would say the simple reason ships get scrapped is there is no one willing to buy and use it for any purpose. Overtime the ship wears out, becomes obsolete and/or is too expensive to operate.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, kefthecruiser said:

Ok, mystery solved! From "The Miami Herald, September 11, 1988", Carnival's ad for its Three New Superliners, the "Fun Ships". The ship at Grand Cayman is HOLIDAY.

image.jpeg

So I’m picturing you at your dining room table going thru all of your old newspapers looking for cruise ads from the 80s. You knew these newspapers would come in handy one day! Thx for the research 

19 hours ago, kefthecruiser said:

Ok, mystery solved! From "The Miami Herald, September 11, 1988", Carnival's ad for its Three New Superliners, the "Fun Ships". The ship at Grand Cayman is HOLIDAY.

image.jpeg

One more thing - looks like prices have actually gotten cheaper since 1988. Doesn’t Carnival advertise $299 cruises now?

@3Sisters Thanks for the photo compliment. I was a serious amatuer photog back then. The camera was a Olympus digital SLR top of the line (Actually 2002, wrong date in photo message). In 5 years it was obsolete. Now, I just use my phone camera, just not the same, the lens make the difference, regardless of what Apple preaches.

@FJB wrote "So I’m picturing you at your dining room table going thru all of your old newspapers looking for cruise ads from the 80s. You knew these newspapers would come in handy one day! "

LOL - Now that is funny! On so many levels! So, the research is nothing that crazy or messy. I've been working on my family tree at Ancestry.com for about 1.5 yrs now and they own Newspaper.com. It dawned on me that the Miami Herald was part of the electronic collection and I can search for cruise ship info (more interesting than obituaries!). They had bi-annual cruise sections that I found, so that's the story... 

I had the same thought about the cruise pricing, especially given 30+ years of inflation.

BTW - Now looking at your RCL challenge. This one is tougher, there's some info that appears conflicting I need to sort through. Hopefully finished next week...(it has become a quest!)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@kefthecruiser I completely agree that phone cameras are no match for the traditional camera. The quality is way better on a nice Olympus digital camera! The only reason why Apple's cameras are so popular is because of how convenient they are. You don't have to bring anything else with you, just your phone. Your phone does it all now, just like the watches. I don't own one of those, but they track your activity, heart rate, and even your sleep quality. It's just wild. 

I don't know how I really feel about all of the "waves" 24/7. I'm more of a turn my cell phone on airplane mode when I sleep type of person.