New 2024-2025 Itineraries

6 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

With the pandemic, cancellations and itinerary changes really peaked. The industry became so unpredictable. Now, I think the cancelations are normalizing, bringing some predictability back to cruising. It's all a gamble, but it's a risk I'm willing to take! 

Cruising may be more predictable but relying on a plane to get you to the Port is not predictable. 

https://apnews.com/article/flight-delays-us-faa-updates-5805d15f520de8eadf52abb7b170487f

About 6 years ago, I was taking a group of 20 people on a cruise out of FT Lauderdale, flying the day before. 12 hours before our flight, about 10pm, I get a notice from Southwest that our flight was cancelled, no options for rebooking. Talk about panic! Needless to say, a sleepless night. I get in touch with the travel agent at 5am.  We discuss options - a charter bus for the 15 hour trek, rental cars, new flights on a different airline.  She tells us to get on the already hired bus to take us to the airport as we were originally scheduled. Numerous calls and a diversion to a different airport, she finally gets the 20 of us booked on 2 separate flights departing 8-10 hours later than originally planned. We all make it to Ft Lauderdale by midnight and are able to check into the ship on time the next day!  

Oh how important it is to fly in at least one day before your cruise AND use a reputable travel agent! 

@FJB Of course it was Southwest! It almost seems like deja vu. That sounds like a super rough start. I don't think I would have the most relaxed mindset after all of that! I think booking with a reputable travel agent is also key. I'm sorry you had that sort of experience, but cruising with a group of 20 sounds like a blast.

8 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB Of course it was Southwest! It almost seems like deja vu. That sounds like a super rough start. I don't think I would have the most relaxed mindset after all of that! I think booking with a reputable travel agent is also key. I'm sorry you had that sort of experience, but cruising with a group of 20 sounds like a blast.

I have vowed never to fly Southwest again.  No other domestic airline has cancelled my flights - Southwest did it twice. 

once we got on the cruise, we all had a great time! 

@FJB I wouldn't blame you after that experience. I have had a similar experience with Spirit. It's a never again for me. I'm glad to hear the cruise was worth it!

When I took my husband on his first cruise with Royal Caribbean he was so frustrated by the lines at the port; he vowed to never cruise again. Then he enjoyed it so very much and considered the entrance lines well worth it. This was when we were dating, and his stance has completely shifted. Cruising is a must for me!

3 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB I wouldn't blame you after that experience. I have had a similar experience with Spirit. It's a never again for me. I'm glad to hear the cruise was worth it!

When I took my husband on his first cruise with Royal Caribbean he was so frustrated by the lines at the port; he vowed to never cruise again. Then he enjoyed it so very much and considered the entrance lines well worth it. This was when we were dating, and his stance has completely shifted. Cruising is a must for me!

In the last 10 years, the cruiselines have figured out how to eliminate lines on embarkation day, at least for the cruises I have  been on. But in the late 90s, early 00s, there was always a line. 

@FJB Yes, the lines have certainly calmed down. Post pandemic cruising instilled staggered entry, which I really enjoyed. The problem with cruising during the pandemic was certainly the testing. Since I cruised with my family, everyone needed several tests. Waiting for the rapid test results at the port was not ideal, but it was still worth it to cruise again.